Derrick McManus - Motivational Speaker
Travels from: South Australia
Shot 14 times …. and still laughing!
Categories: Motivational Speakers
- Get Your Head in the Game
- Never Say Die
- That's a Bright Idea
- The 7 Pillars of Leadership
- Unbeatable Teams
Full Presenter Profile & Bio
Showing impressive feats of determination and strength, Derrick McManus’ life story and experiences are motivational and inspirational. He is a dynamic and highly sought after speaker who can captivate any audience and is able to tailor his presentation to suit.
Derrick has been a member of the South Australia Police for over 30 years and his actions and bravery in response to dangerous situations has always been commended. In 1989 he was awarded the inaugural SA Police Bravery Medal after he and his partner wrestled a gun out of the hands of a man intent on shooting them. McManus was also awarded an Australia Day Young Citizen of the Year Award in 1986 after extensive work within the community.
Shifting into the SA Police Special Task and Rescue (STAR) Group, Derrick was honoured to be a part of a strong team. He understood the danger and perils the job held and the tough situations he would be in attendance to, including siege and hostage situations, high-risk arrests, counter-terrorism as well as cliff and cave rescues.
On the 3rd of May in 1994, McManus was involved in South Australia’s longest siege in history. The incident was 42 hours long and 2000 rounds of ammunition were exchanged between the offender and the police. Derrick was shot fourteen times within 5 seconds with a high-powered semi-automatic rifle. He suffered from many broken bones and severed arteries but had to wait an additional three hours before being rescued and treated.
Incredibly, McManus survived the ordeal and his determination and strength astounded doctors. His spirit and willpower equipped him with the skills to overcome the challenges and adversity he faced in the future. With pure focus, Derrick was able to return back to work as an active member of the South Australia Police STAR Division. Through his role he has also run team-building workshops for large corporations and has addressed conferences and seminars, as well as worked in partnership with non-profit organisations and community groups.
Three years after the shooting, Derrick was appointed as Ambassador to the Australian Red Cross Blood Service after having received 24 units of blood and blood products following the siege.
Derrick McManus’ presentations leave audiences feeling as though they can overcome adversity in their own lives. His story is inspirational and demonstrates how determination is key to survival. It highlights how belief and goal-setting can help achieve what some may think is unreachable. Every individual in the audience is captivated by Derrick’s story and take away both personal and professional characteristics they can apply to their lives. He is able to combine a keynote and breakout session to tailor to his audience and lead professional development sessions to any organisation or business.
His range of speaking presentations include:
- Never Say Die - For three hours in 1994, Derrick laid bleeding after being shot multiple times. He not only survived the ordeal but returned to his family as well as his work. In this keynote he inspires his audience to live life to the fullest, overcome impossible challenges and triumph when others don’t believe.
- Get Your Head in the Game - This program equips audiences with the inner strength required to enjoy the challenges and competiveness within life and work to increase productivity and production. He helps audiences identify the goals they wish to achieve and gives them the tools required to reach them.
- The 7 Pillars of Leadership - When Derrick joined the STAR Group he was shown how to lead even under the toughest of circumstances and was instilled with the knowledge of the 7 Pillars of Tactical Leadership. In this program he demonstrates how the 7 Pillars can be adapted and adopted into the workplace and have a dramatic effect.
- That’s a Bright Idea - Often innovative ideas come together by thinking creatively and linking two unrelated ideas together. Within this program, McManus aims to develop the audience’s creative thinking confidence and equips them with the tools required to develop, encourage and reward their own and others creative thinking.
- Unbeatable Teams - A winning team in both the field and the office require the same attitudes, tactic and philosophies. Derrick is able to inspire cooperation and coordination to build a winning team within any organisation. Audiences leave feeling inspired and encouraged to support one another to achieve impeccable results.