Travels from: Canada
Travelling to Australia August 2019
Categories: Adventure & Challenge, Change Management, Education Speakers, Inspirational, Leadership, Travelling Speakers
Full Presenter Profile & Bio
As the first Canadian Commander of the International Space Station, Colonel Chris Hadfield has had the type of career one can only dream of – just like he did as a child watching the Apollo 11 moon landing.
As a metaphor for pursuing our dreams we’re often told to reach for the stars and Chris literally did it. The commitment, intelligence, sacrifice, and hard work that allow him to achieve his dreams have taught him some valuable lessons over his 20+ year career – and have left him with some incredibly riveting stories and advice to give.
Now he wants to share his experiences. In his passionate and inspiring talks, Hadfield imparts the useful and practical lessons he’s learned throughout his remarkable career – in the fields of leadership, teamwork, collaboration, science, and technology – in space and on Earth.
Chris' Speaking topics include:
- Extreme Leadership - Colonel Chris Hadfield has over 25 years in the Royal Canadian Air Force and 21 years with the Canadian Space Agency and NASA, and developed and honed leadership theories and practices which have taken him to the very top. In his talk on Extreme Leadership, Chris outlines fundamental theories and original insights, interspersed with examples from his own experience, including: being a US Navy Top Test Pilot, NASA’s Director of Operations in Russia, National Outdoor Leadership School Mentor, NASA Astronaut Chief of Space Station Operations and International Space Station Commander
- Managing Complexity and Change - Commanding a spaceship during an emergency has the highest of stakes: human lives, irreplaceably expensive equipment, and worldwide scrutiny. Spaceflight is an unforgiving business, with industry success riding on every launch and critical event. Colonel Chris Hadfield held multiple leadership and management positions during his 21 years in the astronaut corps, navigating tragedy, delays, program changes, and much more. Using examples from his tremendous career, he illuminates the necessity for both preparation and reaction to complex change.
- The Sky Is Not The Limit: Inspiration In Success - Drawing on his experience from over two decades as an astronaut, Colonel Chris Hadfield shares multiple stories and examples that highlight the fundamental necessity of inspiration as a vital component of success.
- STEM - Colonel Chris Hadfield has worked with countless students and teachers, from pre-school to post-doctoral, for decades. Speaking in schools and at education conferences throughout his 35-year-career as an engineer, pilot, and astronaut, his rare mixture of personal experience, memorable ideas, and a warm, fun, interactive style has influenced a generation. Chris strongly believes in the necessity to give every student the tools and the inspiration to succeed. His face and accomplishments are in Canadian science textbooks, as both a role model and clear example of where STEM education can lead. Using real-world examples from his unique experiences, he enables audiences to see beyond their normal horizons, and helps give them the tools and ideas for personal growth and achievement in learning.
- A Musical Evening with Chris Hadfield - Colonel Chris Hadfield shares a selection of stories, images, songs, and ideas in a musical presentation that delights audiences of all ages. Performing songs like his evocative “Beyond the Terra”, which looks away from the land to the skies, Colonel Hadfield ties his presentation together with incredible tales from over the course of his career, including his experience as the ISS commander. Suitable for audiences big, small, and in-between, Chris customizes his performance to meet the needs of all kinds of clients.