Travels from: United States
Full Presenter Profile & Bio
Malaysian Chinese Ronny Chieng was raised in the USA and Singapore, before moving to Australia and graduating with a Commerce/Law degree from the University of Melbourne in 2009.
Ronny Chieng is also a stand-up comedian.
A regular on the lists of rising comedians and faces to watch, Chieng won the Best Newcomer award at the 2012 Melbourne International Comedy Festivals (MICF) for his debut stand up show, The Ron Way. The critically acclaimed show sold out its entire MICF season including extra shows, and received rave reviews at the Sydney Comedy Festival the same year.
In 2012 and 2013, Chieng performed at the prestigious invitation-only Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal, as well as selling out his entire 2-week run at London’s Soho Theatre in the West End.
In 2013 Chieng was once again named one of the “Top 10 Hottest Comedians” by The Age and the Herald Sun in Melbourne. He performed on the nationally broadcast 2013 MICF Gala, as well as the Sydney Comedy Festival Opening Gala at the Opera House. He sold out the entire 24-show season of his second show, Can You Do This? No You Can’t, including being moved to larger venue and selling out an extra 1400-seat show in the Main Hall of the Melbourne Town Hall. He also received a nomination for the 2013 Sydney Comedy Festival, Best of the Fest (Local) award.
2013 also saw Chieng make his Edinburgh Festival Fringe debut with rave reviews for his show The Ron Way. He followed it up with a return season at the Soho Theatre in London playing to packed houses.
Chieng’s growing TV credits including Peter Helliar’s acclaimed ABC1 comedy series, It’s a Date, panel shows Tractor Monkeys and Dirty Laundry Live, Sam Simmons’ ABC1 sketch series, Problems, as well as SBS1’s comedy sketch show Legally Brown.
In 2018, Ronny acted in a starring role in the instant blockbuster 'Crazy, Rich Asians', based on a novel of the same name.
- Opened for Bill Burr on his national stand-up comedy tour of Australia and New Zealand and at the Largo Theatre in LA.
- Appeared on Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala on Channel Ten.
- Team Captain for the MICF Great Debate on Channel Ten.
- Appeared in “Kinne” sketch comedy TV show on Channel 7.
- Appeared on the New Zealand International Comedy Festival opening Gala, and the Jono and Ben Show on TV3.
- Embarked on a completely sold out international theater tour of his brand new stand-up comedy show “You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About” to Adelaide Fringe Festival, Brisbane, Sydney and Perth Comedy Festivals, Tasmania, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and the New Zealand International Comedy Festival.
- Scheduled to continue the tour to Singapore, Malaysia, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and the SOHO Theatre in London.
- Was invited back to the Montreal Just for Laughs Festival 2015 to perform for a full run of the festival including a special performance of his one hour comedy special.
- Opened for Dave Chappelle on his national stand-up comedy tour of Australia.
- Won the Directors’ Choice Award at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival 2014.
- Won Best Show at the Sydney Comedy Festival 2014
- Nominated for Best Comedy Performer at the Helpmann Awards 2014.
- Nominated for Best Comedy Release for his debut comedy special “The Ron Way” at the Aria Awards 2014.
- Nominated in the top 30 in the Cleo Bachelors of the Year Awards 2014.
- Sold out entire 22 show season of his brand new 1 hour stand-up comedy special “Chieng Reaction” at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival 2014, including 2 huge completely sold out shows at the Melbourne Town Hall’s Main Hall.
- Sold out national stand-up comedy “Chieng Reaction” tour, including the Enmore Theatre in Sydney and the Astor Theatre in Perth.
- Featured on the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala on Channel Ten.
- Featured on Agony of Modern Manners series on ABC.
- Featured on Stand Up at Bella Union series on SBS.
- Featured on Comedy Up Late at the Festival Club on ABC2.
- Opened for Bob Saget on his stand-up comedy tour in Sydney.
- Featured on Have You Been Paying Attention on Channel Ten.
- Featured on Dirty Laundry Live on ABC.
- Feautured on Agony of Mondern Manners on ABC.
- Co-starred in Season 2 of ABC’s It’s a Date.
- Featured on the Just for Laughs Sydney Stand Up show and the Eddie Izzard Gala at the Sydney Opera House.
- Co-hosted daily FIBA Basketball World Cup show Double Dribble with Dave Thornton on ABC2.
- Co-hosted daily Triple J national radio drive time “Ronny and Nazeem” show.